The first Madden 18 patch has arrived and although it’s been less than two weeks since launch, it couldn’t come soon enough. As is typical for a Madden release, the “fans” have been relentless in bringing to the developers’ attention issues with gameplay. The complaints have mostly focused on issues with zone coverage, a glitch affecting base align and press that makes the CB stand around like he has nothing better to do, and the overpowered juke move that prevents even a user from making a tackle.
There have also been issues with custom playbooks, skill upgrades in franchise mode showing the wrong XP costs to purchase the upgrade, the classic “connection to your peer has been lost” awarding losses to players in ranked matches even though they are winning, and I keep getting crappy cards every time I open a pack in Madden Ultimate Team!
Lastly, there have been plenty of amusing animations – either due to the new Frostbite Engine or because it’s just Madden being Madden.
First we have the Gronk Spike Fatality
In this year’s Madden, the Gronk Spike is now also a Fatality
— NOTSportsCenter (@NOTSportsCenter) September 5, 2017
And then there’s this…..
— NFL Retweet (@NFLRT) August 29, 2017
I can only assume he needed to be put on a stretcher.
Madden 18 Title Update #1 Patch Notes
The patch notes were first posted over at Muthead.com
- HDR Support
- General Stability fixing various crashes and softlocks
- Fixed issue with Steelers; crowd ‘Terrible Towels’ appearing black or grey
- Online Head-to-Head Quarter Length changed from 4 minutes to 5 minutes
- Fixed an issue around MUT Squads players receiving the incorrect rewards when teammates leave the session early
- Improved a small framerate drop when the ball is snapped on PS4
- Tuned scaling of the football to be slightly smaller
- Fixed an issue where Points were purchasable in Trial
- Fixed Button functionality to be correct: [CROSS] button does not function when attempting to load a MADDEN PROFILE
- Zone Coverage tuning to increase ‘Break-on-Throw’ times
- Tuning to decrease effectiveness of Ball Carrier special moves
- Fixed issue around Coaches standing in the middle of the field when re-starting MUT Challenges
- Tuning to increase blocksheds in run defense vs. Gun Inside Zone plays
- Tuning to slightly increase pass rush when QB holds onto the ball for longer times in the pocket
- Fixed an issue with sideline characters not reacting appropriately to big plays
- Fixed incorrect Chargers/Giants week 5 game on the schedule
- Fixed issue around schedules recording incorrectly when using Play Now Live for Preseason Week
Source: EA Sports
The Week 1 Roster update is also expected to be released this week – but with Hurricane Irma threatening the Florida coast, I suppose it’s possible there could be delays.